The Glastonbury River Runners offer FREE training programs for beginners. The next session begins in September, so please check back here for registration information and more details.
Programs we offered this spring: Get Fit to 5K, Get Fit to 10K, and Walk Fit to 5K
Let us help you reach your goal, whether it’s running a 5K (3.1 miles) race, completing a 10K (6.2 miles) race, or walking a 5K. Through these nine-week training programs, we are here to offer you group support, motivation and fun along the way! Not only will you complete your goal, but you also will meet some fantastic running partners that can last beyond race day. You can do this! It’s at least worth a try.
Our training programs lead you up to a local GRR race. The groups usually meet on Saturday mornings and Tuesday evenings in Glastonbury.
Please note that due to overwhelmingly popular demand for previous programs, numbers are limited to 50. Register well in advance to guarantee your spot.
- Our training groups will meet two days a week (Tuesday evenings and Saturday mornings).
- Saturday sessions take place at Riverfront Park, 200 Welles Street, Glastonbury, CT
- Tuesday sessions begin at 6 p.m. at Rotary Field on Olde Stage Road for all groups.
- Training will be held rain (unless there is thunder & lightning) or shine.
- Participants will train at the pace that they feel comfortable with in achieving their weekly goals. This training is about YOU accomplishing YOUR goal of running your chosen distance at YOUR own pace.
- Various coaches will be spread throughout the group to support all pace levels.
- We encourage you to join the group training sessions as much as possible. However, we do realize that conflicts may occur. If you miss a particular session, we suggest you do that session’s training on your own at a more convenient time.
- Additional training segments on your own (or with a friend) are also recommended. Doing the suggested workouts is what will help you successfully reach your goal.
- These programs will be supported by experienced runners and coaches who will cover different aspects of a running regimen throughout the program, including warming up, stretching, hydration, pacing, avoiding injury, goal setting, safety and proper footwear.
- All you have to do is register, show up, and we will help keep you going!
We look forward to getting to know you, supporting you in reaching your weekly goals and cheering you on as you cross that finish line!
As with any exercise program please consult with your physician prior to beginning.
Quotes from previous participants
“Loved the program and looking forward to continue the experience! Half marathon here I come!!!”
“The GRR training group was a great experience! Not only was it an unbelievably supportive group but it was fun! It was great to meet new friends who were also starting at the same point. The improvement with the group as the weeks moved on was amazing and we are still running together. The GRR is a terrific group to be a member, keep up the great work!”
“Thanks! I couldn’t of accomplished this without GRR’s help and support. Had a great time yesterday! It was very exciting to run my first 5k. I heard about this group through the Glastonbury Citizen. I’ll make sure I like GRR on FB. Hope to see you soon!”
“I saw a sign for the club a while back and started stalking the website for when a training group was going to start…Thanks for all your help!”