The Glastonbury River Runners are offering another FREE nine-week training program for beginners of any level. If your goal is to complete a 5K (3.1 miles), then join us beginning Saturday, April 27, 2013 at Riverfront Park on Welles Street in Glastonbury at 8:30 AM.
Let us help you reach your goal of running a 5K (3.1 mile) race. We are here to offer you group support, motivation and fun along the way! Not only will you complete your goal but you will also meet some fantastic running partners that can last beyond race day. You can do this! It’s at least worth a try.
Due to immense demand in previous beginner coaching sessions, we will be limiting numbers this time. Please email the organizers well in advance to guarantee your spot.
What to Expect
- Our training group will meet two days a week (Tuesday evenings and Saturday mornings)
- Saturday sessions begin at 8:30 AM at Riverfront Park on Welles Street in Glastonbury, CT
- Tuesday sessions begin at 6:00 PM at Rotary Field on Olde Stage Road
- Training will be held in the snow (unless it’s icy), rain (unless there is thunder & lightening) or shine.
- First training session begins on: Saturday, April 27, 2013 @ 8:30 AM
- Participants will train at the pace that they feel comfortable with in achieving their weekly goals. This training is about YOU accomplishing YOUR goal of running a 5K at YOUR own pace.
- Various coaches will be spread throughout the group to support all pace levels.
- The program includes combinations of running and walking certain distances for each training session. The first session will include intervals of running 1 minute then walking 1 minute until the distance of 1.25 miles is completed.
- Each week the running segment of the interval will be increased along with a quarter mile increase in distance.
- We encourage you to join the group training sessions as much as possible. However, we do realize that conflicts may occur. If you miss a particular session, we suggest you do that session’s training on your own at a more convenient time.
- Additional training segments on your own (or with a friend) are also recommended. Doing the suggested workouts is what will help you successfully reach your goal.
- This program will be supported by experienced runners and coaches that will cover different aspects of a running regimen throughout the program which will include warming up, stretching, hydration, pacing, avoiding injury, goal setting, safety and proper footwear.
- All you have to do is register, show up on Saturday, April 27th, 2013 and we will help keep you going!
To complete a 5K at your own pace. Our training program will lead you up to GRR’s 5th Annual InterCommunity Firecracker 5K on Sunday, June 30th if you choose to participate and register for this race.
If this Beginner 5K Running Training Program is something that you are interested in, sign up now by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the first and last name and email address for each participant that is joining.
Note that numbers are limited due to overwhelming popular demand for previous programs. Register well in advance to guarantee your spot.
We look forward to getting to know you, supporting you in reaching your weekly goals and cheering you on as you cross that finish line of your first 5K!
As with any exercise program please consult with your physician prior to beginning.
Quotes from previous participants
“Loved the program and looking forward to continue the experience! Half marathon here I come!!!”
“The GRR training group was a great experience! Not only was it an unbelievably supportive group but it was fun! It was great to meet new friends who were also starting at the same point. The improvement with the group as the weeks moved on was amazing and we are still running together. The GRR is a terrific group to be a member, keep up the great work!”
“Thanks! I couldn’t of accomplished this without GRR’s help and support. Had a great time yesterday! It was very exciting to run my first 5k. I heard about this group through the Glastonbury Citizen. I’ll make sure I like GRR on FB. Hope to see you soon!”
“I saw a sign for the club a while back and started stalking the website for when a training group was going to start…Thanks for all your help!”